Faiz From Kidxy – October 08, 2018 at 05:37 pm
Breast Cancer: Early Detection Saves Lives!
One in 19 women in Malaysia develops breast cancer and this disease has become leading cancer affecting Malaysian women. Breast cancer in Malaysia has increased rapidly due to a more deskbound lifestyle most Malaysians have.
However, with the advanced screening tools as well as modern medical and surgical treatments available today, breast cancer is now more treatable than ever, especially if detected early!
Breast cancer in its advanced stages has a much lower survival rate and a high recurrence rate due to the cancer cells have become more widespread. Therefore, early detection and treatment is the fundamental step in fighting breast cancer.
How you can detect breast cancer early:
· Breast self-examination (BSE): BSE is ideally done once a month just after menstruation. In postmenopausal women, it should be done at regular monthly intervals. If any abnormal changes are detected, visit your doctor immediately for a thorough check-up.
· Mammogram: This is the best screening tool to detect early breast cancer. It is an X-ray of the breast which can detect small cancerous lumps which may be missed in a physical clinical examination.
· Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This is the most sensitive investigation to detect the presence of cancer cells as it gives a good picture of the soft tissue. However, not all cases require an MRI be conducted unless recommended by the doctor.
In addition, you can also make changes to your lifestyle:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay physically active
- Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low in fats
- Take less than one alcoholic drink a day or avoid alcohol completely
Remember that early detection saves lives! If you are looking for more info or to educate yourself more about breast cancer, feel free to visit . We at Kidxy supports Breast Cancer awareness!
Posted in Activities